Don’t let anyone fool you, mashed cauliflower on its own always tastes a bit wet and cabbagey. And gritty. I understand why people make it, I do. It’s mock mashed potatoes… faux-tatoes for a fraction of the calories.
Cauliflower is super healthy, low calorie, and can be pretty darn delicious as a side, cozied up next to meatloaf, or tucked under stroganoff. But it doesn’t have that same silkiness, that same smooth fluffiness that a mashed potato does. It’s squashier. And if you haven’t already noted it, I do make up words in my spare time. I also think about the dynamic science and structure of mashed potatoes. I have loads of friends.
In an effort to make something light and lovely texture-wise, I combined the two. The cauliflower keep things light, while the potatoes lend to a nice pasty mash to keep things smooshed together. Then I added two of my favorite ingredients to enrich the flavor and make the dish feel less like the poor man’s buttery mashed potato, and more like a unique, healthy spin on comfort food. Sour cream and parmesan cheese. Both give these guys a smooth, creamy richness. A buttery and satisfying smoothness.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets, trimmed of as much of the stems as possible
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup full-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Fill a large pot with about an inch and a half of water. Fit with a steamer basket and put the cauliflower and potatoes inside. Cover, bring the water to a boil, and steam until very tender and easily pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. Drain well and return the cooked vegetables to the empty pot on the stove top with the heat turned off. Allow them to stand for about 3 minutes so that the water can evaporate and the cauliflower can dry out. Add sour cream, Parmesan, salt, and pepper, and mash until smooth. Serve with minced fresh chives.
Nutrition Information & Notes:
Nutrition info for 1 serving: Calories: 127.2, Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 9.3mg, Carb: 18.2g, Fiber: 4.3g, Sugar: 0.6g, Protein: 5.8g