First it was falafel, then burgers, and now, lemon chicken gyros with tzatziki and feta cheese.
This place reeks of a street food fair, doesn’t it?
Someone get me a curbside cart. And a megaphone. Always a megaphone.
[Please come over? Bathe me? A new-ish set of pajamas?]
My criteria is rigid: all food I make lately must be stuffed inside a buttery flatbread and then wrapped once more in parchment or foil. No utensils. Hand hold-able. Bib preferable.
I simply won’t budge.
Daniel likes to remind me we’re not actually eating on the street so there’s no need to sit cross legged on the window ledge and litter on our floor.
Such a square, that one.
This doughy flatbread is filled with lemon-oregano marinated chicken, chopped tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, shredded romaine, creamy and cool tzatziki sauce, and crumbled feta.
One messy, chin dribbling bite is lemon and bright parsley and garlic and tang. The chicken is juicy, the bread is warm and blistered, the whole thing a crescendo of flavor.
Make it. Wrap it in parchment. Eat it with your hands and a bottle of ice cold soda. Pretend you’re at my house. Eating on the street.
We can litter and graffiti my wall.
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 pita bread (I recommend Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ cup chopped cucumber
- ½ medium tomato, chopped
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces feta cheese (½ cup)
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped, for serving
- In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken, toss to coat, cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the bowl and discard the marinade.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet well with cooking spray, add the chicken and cook until the pieces are completely cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and dill.
- Lay the pita bread on a work surface and spread half of the tzatziki on each. Divide the chicken among the pitas, followed by the romaine, cucumber, tomato, feta, a bit of fresh parsley. Fold and serve!
Nutrition Information & Notes:
Nutrition Information: Calories 380, Fat 22g, Carb 19g, Fiber 7g, Sugars 3g, Protein 33g *Nutrition calculated using Joseph's Brand 60-calorie pita bread