I don’t want to miss things before they’re already gone, but it’s kind of my specialty. I’ll be two bites into a cookie — already mourning it, or on a vacation, like I was last May with Kate and Sabrina, staring into turquoise water, sipping a piña colada, and at least a tinge of my blissed-out vacation high will be, Don’t end don’t end don’t end.
I continually have to work on enjoying the moment, because wishing for more can end up wishing it away.
For the rest of the season, I’m committed to savoring every last summery thing — sandals, long days, Fire Island, cookouts, warmth, Cape Cod, lobster rolls, eating outside, and, of course, all of my favorite fresh fruits and veggies.
This salad really helps. It’s got some of summer’s best produce: sweet peaches — grilled, which helps to concentrate their natural sweetness even more, fresh corn on the cob — no cooking required, juicy ripe tomatoes, red onion, romaine, creamy avocado…and all of that freshness gets topped off with chili spice-rubbed shrimp. This mix has so much goin’ on you might not even need a dressing, but I love the way blue cheese pairs with the shrimp and peaches. Below I’ve included nutrition info for the salad with and without dressing (the good news: it’s only around 300 calories either way).
About two weeks ago, I discovered Bolthouse Farms chunky blue cheese yogurt dressing and let me tell you — it’s fantastic. (Not sponsored, just found this item while browsing). If you’re like me, you’ve probably passed by the Bolthouse dressings in the grocery store (in the cold case in the produce section) a hundred times and wondered, What’s the deal with those? Turns out they’re kind of a big deal.
For a dressing that’s yogurt-based, it doesn’t have an especially pronounced yogurt tang. And it’s also not very thin consistency-wise–which was a pleasant surprise considering it’s only 35 calories per serving and ultra-low cal dressings tend to be watery. You would never believe it’s only 35 calories. I swear.
I hope you love this summer salad as much as I do!
Summer's freshest produce in a bowl: fresh corn off the cob, juicy ripe tomatoes, grilled sweet peaches -- topped with spicy shrimp on a bed of romaine with avocado and red onion. All for 330 calories!
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 ½ pounds large shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 6 wooden skewers, soaked in water for about 1 hour
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 peaches, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup Bolthouse Farms Chunky Blue Cheese Yogurt Dressing
- Divide the romaine among 4 large plates or bowls. Repeat with the red onion, corn, tomato, and avocado.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Thread the shrimp onto the wooden skewers. Season the shrimp evenly on both sides with the spice mixture.
- Preheat your grill to high. Lightly spray the shrimp skewers and the peach slices with an oil mister or cooking spray. Grill the shrimp until pink and opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the peaches until grill marks are present on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Slide the shrimp off the skewers and divide them, along with the grilled peaches, among the salad plates. Drizzle each plate with 2 tablespoons of dressing.
Nutrition Information & Notes:
With Bolthouse Farms Dressing (as recipe directs): Calories 334, Fat 13g, Carb 30g, Fiber 9g, Sugars 8g, Protein 31g
Without Dressing: Calories 299, Fat 10g, Carb 29g, Fiber 9g, Sugars 7g, Protein 29g