I should preface this post with: this is a list of inane musings. It’s nonsensical at best, disturbing at worst. But it will give you who come here often a tiny glimpse at the life of the zany person who writes this blog. Maybe we’ll start a tradition? Casual Fridays—I like the sound of that. We can have drinks?
1. The promise of Guinness-braised corned beef and cabbage this weekend is precisely what has driven me through the week.
My massive Irish family is gathering TWICE this weekend to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Saturday for a corned beef and cabbage dinner and Sunday for brunch—which I told them should naturally condense to a Guinness-braised slumber party, but what do I know?
2. Speaking of brunch—I have a problem with it. World, are you asking me to skip breakfast or are you asking me to forgo lunch? Because truth: neither is happening. My disdain for brunch is very similar to my disdain for the oft 3 p.m. mealtime on holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas—it derails my eating train.
3. I am obsessed with makeup. Nothing new here; I’ve been this way since seventh grade when I bought my first concealer and then shuffled through the whole year with raccoon eyes. In eighth grade, one year later, I begged Mom for a subscription to InStyle magazine. And Mom, a woman who has never a day in her life worn anything more than a thick lacquer of plum lipstick, looked me squarely in my raccoony eyes, and relented. Thus, a product obsession was born.
Today, you will rarely find me without something on my face. My sister-in-law loves to tell a story about when I showed up at her house to help move furniture. “Everyone’s there in sweatpants and tee-shirts, ready to do some heavy lifting, and Andrea steps out of the car—in sweats, mind you—with hot pink lipstick.”
I’m thankful that my best friend indulges me. Sometimes I email her lists of “The Best Beauty Products of Our Lives to Date.” And then sometimes I text self-portraits to her to show off a simple new makeup look I’m working for the day. And yet—she still loves me. Bless her.
4. Lately, I’ve been struggling with the oddest, most frustrating nighttime anxiety. I fall asleep just fine, but then—sometime around 4 a.m.—I’ll wake suddenly and all of these crazy thoughts will rush at me. “The shrimp stir-fry recipe is all wrong!!” (It isn’t.) “I have to do my taxes!” “When was the last time I called Lori?!” Every deep-seated fear, every past humiliation, every heart-hurt just whooshes at me full-force, as though it had been pent up all the while I’d been sleeping. And for the next ninety minutes, I’m fraught with worry. Last night it didn’t happen, though—thankfully—so I wonder if it was just a strange few-days-long kind of thing. Or at least, I hope.
5. Longtime readers of this ol’ blog know that I love travel. In 2012 alone, I traveled to Costa Rica (twice), three parts of Mexico, Belize, and the Dominican Republic. I believe in travel. I wish more people could do it, more often. I wish I could fund it for them. I wish I could fund it for myself.
Recently, passionate traveler, Kelly, emailed me about a contest she entered in which she has the chance to potentially win a 6-month all-expenses-paid trip around the world to blog about her travels. Naturally, I want to support that in any way I can. To win the contest, she needs lots and lots of votes on the video she created, and I’d love it (and be very, very grateful) if we could all vote for her.
To vote, simply click here to visit Kelly’s entry page, then scroll down to the green box on the right and share via the social media links. Shares only count as votes if they’re done through the links on her entry page. Thank you!
So. Tell me something about you. What’s new?