I made this recipe for my family two weeks ago and, silly me, figured that by doubling it, there would be enough leftover the following day that I’d be able to photograph it for a recipe post. You know, because I’m neurotic and will only make lovey dovey food pictures in the light of day,
when everyone can see my crazy in plain sight.
The next morning I set up my small, make-shift food photography studio by the window in the living room, only to open the refrigerator to find—surprise! There were no leftovers.
I took it as a sign.
The soup was that good.
[or everyone threw the rest in the garbage, but let’s pretend.]
This is a twist on tradition. A bolder, zestier chicken soup that can satisfy a craving for comfort food and Mexican at the same time.
There’s so little effort required in throwing it together, and better yet—you probably have all of the ingredients on hand already.
It also justifies the use of an excessive toppings bar, with bowls of shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, and hot sauce. And that alone is reason enough to make a meal.
Easy Mexican Chicken Soup in the Slow Cooker
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cans 15 ounces each Great Northern beans (white beans), drained and rinsed
- Scatter the onion and garlic about the base of your slow cooker. Arrange the chicken breasts evenly over the top.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the chicken broth, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, chili powder, and salt. Pour over the chicken. Cook on low for about 6 hours.
- Remove the lid and shred the chicken using two forks and pulling against the grain of the meat. Stir in beans. Add more broth or a little water if you think that the soup is too thick for your liking, and then return the lid to cover. Continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes to allow the beans to warm.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, fresh cilantro, and an additional dusting of smoked paprika.