Quick and Easy Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (or espresso powder)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add half the flour mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of batter for each whoopie cake onto the lined baking sheets Each cake should be two inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cakes are puffed and they spring back when pressed gently with your finger. Remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely on a wire rack. Do not frost the cakes until cool.
makes about 48 small cakes (which will become 24 filled whoopie pies)
Whoopie Pie Cream Filling
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening- Crisco recommended. *Note: Do not substitute butter; it does not achieve the same whipped, fluffy texture nor does it taste as light. I know, I know- you don’t like trans fats; none of us do. But trust me, the whoopie pies love ‘em.
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup milk (or more to achieve desired texture)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Beat shortening until creamy, using high speed on an electric mixer.
- Add the sugar, one cup at a time, until fully combined. The mixture will be stiff.
- Add milk and vanilla and whip on high speed for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. If it seems too dry and/or stiff, add more milk one tablespoonful at a time until you achieve a smooth, whipped texture.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of frosting onto half of the cooled chocolate cakes. Top with the other half of the cakes and press lightly so that the pies stick together.
makes 24 filled whoopie pies