This post is sponsored by Tuttorosso Tomatoes.
Everyone has some of those favorite meals that they rarely seem to eat. Whether it’s because the rest of the family isn’t into it, or it’s too expensive or inconvenient to make, it’s just not something that is part of our normal diet. The good thing about these foods is they always seem like a treat. One of the foods I really enjoy but rarely get to eat is stew. I love a good hearty bowl of stew on a chilly day. But I usually cook for two, and stew just seems like a meal better suited for a larger group. Also stews usually require advanced planning, something I am not the best at.
The great thing about this quick chicken sausage stew is it doesn’t take all day, even though it tastes like it. And you don’t have to make a batch for the entire neighborhood since Tuttorosso now sells my favorite diced tomatoes in a smaller 14.5-ounce can, which is great for convenience when you only need a little or you’re cooking in smaller batches.
They’re the exact same sweet, ripe tomatoes you’d find in the larger 28-ounce can—perfect for adding texture to chili, tacos, pasta sauces, you name it. And as always, the tomatoes are non-GMO and the can linings are BPA-free.
This is a complete meal in a bowl with plenty of flavor, protein, and filling fiber! Best part: it comes together in no time. Enjoy it while the chilly weather lasts, friends!
Quick Chicken Sausage Stew with Kale and White Beans
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Italian chicken sausage sliced
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- ½ cup packed chopped fresh basil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 medium bunch kale stems removed, leaves chopped (4 to 5 packed cups)
- 4 cups fat-free and reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 15- ounce can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2 14.5- ounce cans Tuttorosso diced tomatoes undrained
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 1- ounce slices crusty whole wheat bread torn roughly into pieces
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling the meat as it cooks, until browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, celery, basil, and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are just beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring frequently, until just wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the broth, beans, and diced tomatoes with their juices, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. To serve, divide among 4 bowls, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese over the top of each, and divide the torn bread among the bowls.
Photos by Ashley McLaughlin Photography