Baked barbecue chicken egg rolls are habit-forming. I just had to say that right away, to warn you. Because they’re not just this crazy delicious crowd-pleasing appetizer that happens to be light, or even a fun, cute dinner that you can pair with a salad—they’re straight up addictive. I say that because I know it first hand.
These crispy little rolls are wickedly good, with sweet smoky barbecue flavor, filled with savory shredded chicken, and oozing melted sharp cheddar. There’s a little broccoli slaw thrown in each one, too, just to provide a little bulk and a nice touch of freshness and crunch. Using egg roll wrappers and baking them allows them to be as light as they are, saving a whole lot of calories over fried rolls. And the wrappers do crisp up once baked, though not quite as much as their fried friends would—but who cares? It’s the inside of the roll that has all the flavor anyway. Be sure to eat them fresh out of the oven, or else the wrappers can turn a little bit gummy and soft.
You’ll love these, your friends and family will love these, even kids will go crazy for them! They’re the best way to feel like you’re indulging, for not many calories at all.
For the step-by-step tutorial to filling the egg roll wrappers, follow the instructions on my Buffalo Chicken Roll recipe, found here, and substitute bbq sauce for the hot wing sauce and extra sharp cheddar for the blue cheese!
Baked Barbecue Chicken Egg Rolls
- 12 egg roll wrappers buy the ones that are roughly 4" x 4" square
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken 6 ounces
- ½ cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese 4 ounces
- 1 cup broccoli slaw or coleslaw dry
- Blue cheese dressing for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lay egg roll wrappers on a clean work surface. In a small bowl, stir chicken* (see note below) and barbecue sauce until coated. The meat should be moist with sauce.
- Begin by placing one tablespoon of the broccoli slaw on the diagonal of the bottom right corner of one of the wrappers. Next, place 2 tablespoons of shredded chicken evenly on top of the slaw. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cheddar cheese over the chicken. Do not overfill.
- To fold: Fold the bottom right corner over the stuffing mixture so that it covers it completely, with the tip of the corner now pointing to the center of the egg roll wrapper. Fold in the bottom left corner, followed by the right, so that you now have formed an envelope. Roll the wrap upward one time, leaving the top left corner open. Wet your index finger in the small bowl of water and press to moisten the top left corner. Now fold that down on top of the filled roll, sealing it like you would an envelope.
- Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Place the rolls on a wire rack set on top of a cookie sheet (or just on a greased cookie sheet) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spritz each roll evenly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the rolls are crisp and beginning to turn a light golden brown.