photo by Aran Goyoaga
[psst: I’m thrilled to give you a sneak peek of my cookbook, Eating in the Middle: A Mostly Wholesome Cookbook, by sharing this wickedly flavorful Cashew Basil Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe!]
One Saturday night about a year ago, I went out to eat at a local Chinese restaurant. Somehow, a week later, I found myself still thinking about—still craving—the incredible chicken lettuce wraps I had. It wouldn’t be quite so remarkable if it weren’t for the facts that a.) we’re talking lettuce, and b.) no part of lettuce is cake.
Naturally, I had to recreate them at home.
photo by Aran Goyoaga
These cashew basil wraps manage to strike a delicate balance between sweet and salty (thanks to a hoisin-soy sauce), crunchy and tender, rich and refreshing. If you love cashews, love basil, and want to try the best chicken lettuce wraps around, they’re absolutely for you!
There are 79 more delicious recipes in my cookbook, Eating in the Middle: A Mostly Wholesome Cookbook, and I need you to see and taste all of them!
Order the cookbook here:
**Update** The promotion below has come to an end. Thank you all for being a part of it!
If you preorder, email me at email@example.com with either your confirmation number or a screenshot of your order, and you’ll be able to start cooking through my cookbook with me (and get immediate access to a bunch of cookbook recipes!). You’ll also be able to join me and Gina of Skinnytaste.com in our private Facebook group!
Cashew and Basil Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- ½ cup unsalted cashews
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound lean ground chicken breast
- 2 scallions white and light green parts, chopped
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 head Boston bibb, or iceberg lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spread the cashews on a baking sheet and toast until golden and fragrant, about 10 minutes. Let cool slightly and then chop the cashews.
- In a small bowl, whisk the chicken broth, hoisin, soy sauce, sugar, and cornstarch.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the scallions and the hoisin sauce mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil and cashews.
- To serve, divide the lettuce leaves among 4 plates and spoon the chicken mixture into each of the leaves.