You don’t need a recipe to tell you how to toast bread and add toppings, but what you might need is inspiration to set out a breakfast spread that’s easy on you to prepare and fun for guests (especially kids). Everyone loves having options and you love not having to cook.
Have you ever had overnight guests and debated with yourself over what you’ll serve for breakfast in the morning? You want to make something delicious of course (maybe even impressive) but you also don’t want to wake the whole house and you certainly don’t want to have to be standing by the stove for an hour flipping pancakes. The solution: a DIY Toast Bar.
A DIY toast bar is exactly as straightforward as it sounds. Toast up a loaf of your favorite bread and set the slices out on a large cutting board or tray with any toppings you like (many of which you might already have on hand) along with utensils and plenty of napkins.
Aim to include a mix of savory and sweet toppings, with things like smoked salmon and avocado cream on the savory side and jams and fresh fruit on the sweet side.
The spread can be as healthy or indulgent as you’d like. Fruits, veggies, nuts and nut butters, and a hearty whole grain bread are all fantastic wholesome options, but a rich chocolate spread like Nutella or even a bowl full of rainbow sprinkles would be welcome (fun) additions, too. You can also consider adding some cooked elements, like hard boiled eggs (which you can make the night before) and bacon.
Jam or jelly
Fruits and veggies:
Scallions or thinly sliced onion
Nuts and seeds (almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds)
Coconut (flakes or shredded)
- Smoked Salmon Toast: cream cheese with smoked salmon, sliced onion or scallions, tomato, and capers
- Berries and Cream Toast: cream cheese with jam and berries
- Veggie Toast: cream cheese with scallions, tomato, cucumber, radish, and sprouts
- Avocado Toast: avocado (sliced or mashed) with tomato, smoked salmon, and cream cheese
- Peanut Butter and Banana Toast: peanut butter with banana, nuts, and honey
- Peanut Butter and Apple Toast: peanut butter with Alice’s apple, a sprinkle of granola, and honey