A delicious and healthy mason jar salad layered with chewy whole grain farro, pickled beets, chicken, pistachios, dried apricots, arugula, and radicchio (390 calories or 9 WW points).
This post is sponsored by Aunt Nellie’s.
Salads make the best lunches, but making them ahead of time can be tricky. Enter: the mason jar salad. Why a mason jar you ask? A few reasons: 1. Stacking your salad in a mason jar keeps all of the ingredients separated—the dressing and any other wet ingredients go on the bottom—preventing any sogginess. 2. And since nothing’s getting soggy, you can prep and store the mason jar farro salad ahead of time. In the morning, just grab and go.
This farro beet mason jar salad is absolutely delicious, well suited to make ahead of time, and hearty enough to keep you full all afternoon. It has layers of fiber-packed whole grain farro, protein-rich rotisserie chicken breast, antioxidant-rich pickled beets (also high in Vitamins A, C, and folate), healthy fat from pistachios, dried apricots, and leafy veggies like arugula and radicchio. And don’t worry—there’s no messy, time-consuming prep required for the beets because I go the convenient route and use a jar of Aunt Nellie’s whole pickled beets. All the peeling, cooking, and pickling is done for you so you can just chop them and pop them right into your salad.
I love the versatility of Aunt Nellie’s pickled beets because they pair well with any number of flavors. They also add lots of flavor without adding many calories at all. In this farro salad, the sweetness and tang of the beets really lift and brighten the savory chicken, farro, and peppery arugula. The pistachios and dried apricots add crunch and chew. And the vinaigrette is just delicious—scented with orange zest and tinted a pretty, sunset pink.
This week (4/21-27) marks Aunt Nellie’s second annual Beet Week and the brand’s 90th anniversary. To celebrate, Aunt Nellie’s is giving one lucky person a Family Pack of Aunt Nellie’s products and a $900 VISA gift card!
To enter for a chance to win this prize, visit the Aunt Nellie’s Sweepstakes page and sign up for their newsletter. You must also follow Aunt Nellie’s on Facebook or Instagram. The giveaway is open until May 3, 2019 (limit one entry per day). Good luck!
Farro Beet Mason Jar Salad with Pistachios and Apricots
- 2 tbsp liquid from a jar of Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets
- .5 c dry farro
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- .25 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Farro Beet Salad:
- 1 c cooked1 (16-ounce) jar Aunt Nellie’s Whole Pickled Beets, chopped
- 2 c chopped cooked chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken (about 12 ounces)
- .3333 c dried apricots, chopped (about 10 dried apricots)
- .3333 c shelled pistachios, chopped
- 2 c chopped radicchio
- 4 c 4 cups arugula or baby spinach
- In a small saucepan, combine the farro with 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the grains are tender but still chewy, about 20 minutes.
- Drain off any excess water and fluff the farro with a fork. Let cool to room temperature.While the farro is cooking, make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl, whisk the beet liquid, vinegar, orange zest, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Divide the vinaigrette among 4 quart-sized mason jars or any tall, narrow containers (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Next, divide the beets among the jars, followed by the radicchio, then the chicken, farro, pistachios, apricots, and top with arugula.
- Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to eat. Pour into a bowl or onto a plate to serve.