A good morning starts with a hearty meal, like this warm, healthy breakfast quinoa with coconut milk and apples. It’s wholesome, sweet, filling, and only 275 calories.
I never thought I’d see the day that Daniel woke up and ate something sweet for breakfast. This is a man who has ultra-savory meals first thing in the morning. Sometimes it’s chicken. Sometimes it’s steak. I’ve even seen him eat fish—and I’m not talking lox. It’s dinner for breakfast.
He tells me he’s just never really in the mood for waffles or french toast or pancakes or even omelets and eggs.
Can I, in good conscience, marry a man who disrespects breakfast like this?
Because I love breakfast foods—every last one of them.
Last week, though, Daniel woke up and made himself a bowl of oatmeal. And liked it. I stood in the kitchen and stared. When I asked him if I had died and this was heaven, he told me, “I just felt like oatmeal.” Huh.
The next morning, I was feeling lucky. Knowing the oatmeal had been a success, I made this recipe: warm quinoa porridge cooked in light coconut milk (Daniel is crazy for anything with a slight coconut flavor–and this has just enough to do the trick), topped with apples that I sautéed in a little bit of coconut oil, cinnamon, and a spoonful of orange marmalade, which glazed the apples just a bit.
I sprinkled his bowl with toasted walnuts and poured some extra coconut milk on top for creaminess just before I served it. The verdict? He’s requested it half a dozen more times since! He loved that it was different than oatmeal in texture, had a whole lot of flavor with just the right amount of sweetness from the apples–not too much (we’re still trying to keep it healthy and low in sugar!) but enough for it to be flavorful.
Try this healthy quinoa breakfast bowl for a spin on your traditional oatmeal. Make it ahead and reheat it with a little milk (light coconut milk or vanilla almond milk) for easy weekday mornings!
Healthy Breakfast Quinoa with Coconut Milk and Apples
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 large apples cored and cut in ¼-inch thick slices, skin left on
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 ounce pecans about 20 halves, finely chopped
- In a small pot, combine the quinoa and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa has absorbed the coconut milk, about 15 minutes. Pay attention as the quinoa is done cooking and stir more frequently to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the apple slices and cinnamon and toss to coat the apples in the cinnamon and oil. Add the water and cook, stirring frequently, until the apples are tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the orange marmalade.
- To serve, spoon about 1/2 cup of quinoa into 4 bowls. Divide the cinnamon-orange apples among the bowls and sprinkle the top of each with 1 tablespoon of chopped pecans.