Next time you crave something sweet, try these healthy chocolate cupcakes for 100 calories! They’re more wholesome than most desserts, made with applesauce as a fat replacement, super moist, tender, and even vegan!
I was sending you a pink bowed box with twelve moist and fudgy cupcakes nestled inside. Just a simple gift from one dear friend to another. I even hand wrote a note and tucked it inside to let you know that each bitty brownie cake is only 100 calories. And whole grain. And nonfat. And made from real, wholesome ingredients.
You’d have been downright smitten with me.
Unfortunately, I ate them all. One by one. Crumb after moist crumb.
I hope you’ll understand. What’s that saying about it being the thought that counts? Well, that.
Very truly yours,
Chocolate covered in Seattle
It is a rare occasion that I pull something from my oven that does not contain butter and a full week’s worth of sugar as recommended by USDA dietary guidelines. Because in my mind, if you can be mindful and eat just one of an ooey gooey, then there’s no reason not to push the limits of decadence and sweet splendor.
But sometimes it’s equally as splendid when those ooey gooeys are wholesome and light. When they feel good and taste good too.
Each of these cupcakes is moist, tender, soft crumbed, and plenty chocolatey. And unlike lots of healthy baking projects I’ve tried, these are ones I would serve to someone other than Daniel. Healthy yet fabulous enough to share with friends and strangers. They’re gently sweet and have a decidedly lighter texture than most of the non fat cake recipes I’ve tried.
And I may be mistaken… but I think that any calories saved in cake form should be spent in frosting? Someone tell me where I’m wrong.
I make these all the time for Daniel and I to have for a light dessert. I even took to freezing them (unfrosted), and then pulling one out on a casual Wednesday night, warming it in the microwave, and plopping a scoop of ice cream on top for a healthier brownie sundae.
Here is how you can have your cake and eat it too, all for 100 calories!
Healthy Chocolate Cupcakes for 100 Calories
- 1 cup nonfat or low fat milk dairy or nondairy
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup all purpose flour –OR- whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Spritz them lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, applesauce, and vanilla. Pour in the now curdled milk and mix all ingredients well.
- Stir in dry ingredients until just combined. The batter will be thin and wet, similar to a runny pancake batter. Divide it evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for about 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before removing to cool completely.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, top them with my favorite light and fluffy frosting: The Best Whipped Frosting