If you’re looking for moist, tender chicken with the bright, fresh flavor of lemon, garlic, and herbs and a nice smoky char from the grill, look no further. This lemon herb marinated grilled chicken is a classic for a reason (200 calories or 2 WW points).
When I want to make great-tasting, classic grilled chicken that I know everyone will love—chicken that I can use in any number of ways—I make this lemon herb marinade. It’s a straightforward mix of lemon juice and lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, fresh herbs like parsley or basil, and a couple spoonfuls of Greek yogurt.
The acidity of the lemon and the lactic acid in the yogurt work wonders at breaking down the tough proteins in the meat, ensuring you’ll have perfectly moist and tender grilled chicken. Even after just a quick 30-minute soak, boneless, skinless chicken breasts grill up more tender and juicy, full of bright, lemony fresh flavor.
Serve it with an extra sprinkling of fresh parsley or basil, lemon wedges, and crumbled feta cheese. Enjoy!
Lemon Herb Marinated Grilled Chicken
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves minced about 1 tablespoon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh herbs I like a 50/50 mix of basil and parsley
- .5 tsp salt
- .25 tsp ground black pepper
- 1.25 lbs 1 ¼ lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour the marinade into a gallon-sized plastic bag, add the chicken, press out as much air as possible and seal bag. Turn the bag a few times to coat the chicken in marinade and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day, flipping the bag halfway through to make sure the chicken marinates evenly.
- Preheat your gas grill with all burners on high and close the lid. When the grill is hot (after about 15 minutes), turn the 2 burners closest to the front to low, keeping the back burner on high. Remove the chicken from the bag and arrange on the grates over the low heat burners. Cover and cook until the underside of the chicken is just beginning to develop light grill marks, 6 to 9 minutes. Flip the chicken, cover, and continue to cook until the chicken is firm to touch, 6 to 9 minutes longer.
- To get a nice char on the chicken, now move the chicken to the part of the grill over high flames and cook uncovered until each side has solid grill marks, 5 to 6 minutes, flipping halfway.
- The chicken should be completely firm to the touch and register 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer the chicken to a plate, tent with foil, and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.
I was going to make Chicken Gyros tonight. I think these might work for that application! Thoughts?
That sounds so good! I think the chicken would work really well in gyros :) Thanks Ericka!
I love anything with lemon in it and this sounds wonderful. My husband loves to grill so this will be next on the grilling menu.
Thank you Lana!
I made it last night and it was wonderful. It is a make again recipe for my family.
Pingback: Perfect Caesar Salad with the Best Caesar Dressing Recipe
Looks Amazing and tastes so good!!
This is so awesome and looks healthy.
This is so awesome and looks healthy. I think this a great combination to this product bit.ly/. worth to try for your healthy diet.
I assume plain
Yes, plain! Sorry—I will edit the recipe to specify!
Pingback: What I Love This Week - Andie Mitchell
great recipe i love it
Any suggestions for what to pair this with???
Loved it and kids did too. I want to make this every day. I was sharing it with friends in grocery while buying ingredients! Home run, thank you!
Haha THANK YOU, Jen! I’m so glad to hear that you and the fam liked it!
I have made this twice for dinner. Big thumbs up from my family of 6!
Your Lemon Herb Marinated Grilled Chicken looks good.
Pingback: Grilled Chicken with Asian Soy Ginger Marinade
Wow really liked this recipe easy to prepare and delicious
Made this tonight with parsley and thyme. Delicious! Whole family said to put it in the regular rotation. Thanks for wonderful recipe!
This chicken looks so good!!!
It’s very delicious!
What is the dipping sauce on your plate. I plan on making this soon, looks good!
Pingback: Grilled Chicken Skewers with Indian Marinade and Cucumber Raita Yogurt Sauce
PERFECT MATCH WITH https://bit.ly/2KiLzWb
I love this recipe! It is one of the best tasting chicken dishes I have ever eaten. It is going into regular rotation on our dinner table.
Hi! Can this be cooked in the oven or pan grilled?
This is literally the best chicken I have ever had. We make a big batch on Sunday night and eat it throughout the week. It reheats great and still stays moist. Absolutely LOVE it!
Couldn’t grill it, so I put in the oven at 425. So tasty now I’m going to make it a Gyros for my dinner tonight!
Pingback: 7 Ways I Use Greek Yogurt to Make Healthier Meals - Andie Mitchell
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup - myhealthbuddy.xyz
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup -
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup - Desi Creator
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup - INet Beginners Newbie News
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup - Fitness, Weight Loss News Tips
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup - Nature Plus CBD
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup - Universal Online Prescriptions
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup - EverCare24
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup – Lady in Rainbow
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup – CBD News24
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup – Best Health And Tech
Pingback: 4th of July BBQ Recipe Roundup -