A deliciously creamy, cheesy, fully-loaded cheeseburger skillet that the whole family will love. Make it in just 30 minutes with ground beef, mushrooms, onions, cream cheese, and Swiss cheese.
Remember Hamburger Helper? I certainly do. Growing up, whenever I saw the box (with that weird anthropomorphized four finger glove chef) on the kitchen counter, I knew I was in for a real treat. Well this ooey-gooey cheeseburger skillet is a lighter, more wholesome twist on the boxed family favorite, with ground beef, sauteed mushrooms and onions, Swiss cheese, and a little cream cheese to create a thick, silky sauce. The best part? It’s made all in one skillet in just 30 minutes.
I think it’s downright delicious served with split and toasted hamburger buns on the side (think of it as a cheesy sloppy joe) or spooned on top of creamy mashed potatoes, but feel free to make it like old school Hamburger Helper and stir in some cooked egg noodles if you want!
How to make it:
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 ¼ cups chicken broth and 1 ½ tablespoons of flour. This will help to create a sauce later on, so set it aside for now.
- In a large skillet, cook chopped onions, mushrooms, and garlic until soft, then transfer them to a bowl.
- In the same skillet, brown 1 pound of lean ground beef.
- Once the beef is browned, return the veggies to the skillet along with the broth mixture and bring the liquid to a bubble; reduce the heat and let it simmer until thickened.
- Turn off the heat and stir in 2 ounces of cream cheese and 2 ounces of shredded Swiss cheese until the cheeses have melted and formed a thick, creamy sauce. Serve!
Creamy Cheeseburger Skillet with Mushrooms and Swiss
- 1¼ cups chicken broth
- 1½ tbsp all purpose flour
- 1½ tbsps olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz light cream cheese (⅓ less fat)
- 2 oz swiss cheese, shredded (or cheddar cheese) (½ cup shredded)
- In a bowl, whisk the broth and flour. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook until just softened, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Transfer the cooked veggies to a bowl, wipe out the skillet with a paper towel, and return the skillet to the burner. Add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and the ground beef and cook, crumbling with a spatula as it browns, until cooked through, 6 to 7 minutes. Stir in the thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Return the cooked veggies to the pan and add the broth and flour mixture. Bring the skillet to a simmer then reduce the heat to continue to simmer until the liquid has thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove the skillet from heat and stir in the cream cheese and Swiss cheese until completely incorporated and creamy. Serve immediately with hamburger buns, if desired.