Turns out there IS a way to make a better Rice Krispie Treats recipe—by using another favorite cereal. These kid-friendly Lucky Charms Treats are a quick no bake dessert made with only 3 ingredients: butter, marshmallows, and Lucky Charms. You can even make them pink for Valentine’s Day!
If you love homemade Rice Krispie treats—and how could you not?—it’s time to take things to the next level and sub Lucky Charms for Rice Krispies. They’re just as easy, possibly twice as delicious, and three times as pretty.
For Valentine’s Day, make your Lucky Charms treats festively pink by using Fruity Lucky Charms. The cereal tastes familiarly fruity, like a cross between Trix and Froot Loops—with the same sweet marshmallows we all know and love.
How to make Lucky Charms Treats
You’ll need 3 simple ingredients: 1 stick of butter, a 16-ounce bag of mini marshmallows, and an 11-ounce box of whatever flavor of Lucky Charms you like (here I’ve used pink Fruity Lucky Charms). Melt the butter in a large saucepan on your stovetop then stir in the marshmallows and cook until they’re melted, too. Remove the pot from heat and mix in the cereal. Press the mixture evenly into a 13- by 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Let cool and then cut into squares.
To make pressing the sticky marshmallow mixture into the baking dish a little easier, you can either spritz your fingers with cooking spray OR spray one side of a piece of plastic wrap and use that to push the cereal into the dish (oiled-side-down facing the cereal bars).
Try not to pack the cereal down too tightly when you press it into the baking dish because it will make for tough, hard bars.
Lucky Charms Treats
- 1 stick stick unsalted butter ½ cup
- 16 oz 16-ounce bag mini marshmallows about 10 cups
- 10.5 oz 10.5-ounce box Lucky Charms use Fruity Lucky Charms for pink version (about 8 cups)
- Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the marshmallows and cook, stirring constantly, until the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and add the Lucky Charms, stirring until they’re completely mixed into the marshmallow mixture.
- Scoop into the baking dish and use your hands to gently press the cereal into an even layer (don’t pack the cereal down too firmly or the bars will turn out hard).
- Cool completely before cutting.