Mashed sweet potatoes make the perfect side dish. And these ones? The very ones I served alongside my foolproof turkey meatloaf just a few days ago?
L-o-v-e. Love. Here’s the simplest way to make them, with a little cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg thrown in for flavor.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
I’ll start by saying that this recipe is tried and true. And if you’re hoping for something comforting, you’re in the right place. I add a tablespoon of butter (all you need, really) for silkiness, a little whole milk to make them creamy, and a few dashes of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, which don’t necessarily add flavor so much as warmth. They help to deepen the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes—making it so that we don’t need to add any sugar at all. For my vegan friends, these are so easily adaptable! Simply substitute coconut oil in place of butter, and almond milk for whole milk.
This recipe could be spruced up with orange zest, a fresh herb like basil, or even a soft cheese like goat cheese. But really, I just keep coming back to making them this way.
Again, don’t be worried that the cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in the mashed sweet will leave you with a pumpkin pie-like recipe; they won’t! They’ll be mild and subtle. But if you’re truly averse to any of them, feel free to omit one or more of them! The recipe will still turn out just fine.
Perfect Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon salted butter or coconut oil for vegan option
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup whole milk or unsweetened almond milk for vegan option
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch nutmeg
- Put the sweet potatoes in a large pot and add just enough cold water to cover them. Bring to a boil and cook until fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to the potatoes to the pot on the stove top with the burner turned off. The residual heat from the pot will help any excess water burn off.
- Add the remaining ingredients, using only 1/4 cup liquid to start and adding more if needed, and mash until smooth and well-combined. Serve immediately.
Calories 151, Fat 3g, Carb 30g, Fiber 5g, Sugars 6g, Protein 2g