This is essentially a delicious hot spinach artichoke dip with chicken baked right into it. It’s your favorite app turned into dinner—-and it’s easy! Just dice boneless skinless chicken breast, arrange it in a baking dish, and top it with a rich and creamy mixture of softened cream cheese, garlic, Parmesan cheese, a dollop of mayonnaise, spinach, and artichoke hearts. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes and voila! Dinner is served.
The chicken bakes up tender while the spinach and cream cheese mixture melts into a rich cream sauce that would be delicious over rice (or cauliflower rice to keep it low carb), pasta, or potatoes (or mashed cauliflower).
Tips for Spinach Artichoke Baked Chicken
Once baked, the sauce surrounding the chicken will be a little thin. Don’t worry! It will thicken as the dish cools, and regardless, it tastes great! The chicken and other ingredients will naturally release a bit of liquid as they cook, but the best way to prevent the sauce from being too watery is to remove as much liquid as possible from the high-moisture content ingredients: the thawed spinach and the canned artichokes.
To do this, use a kitchen towel or stack a few paper towels on top of one another, wrap them tightly around the spinach, and wring it out, discarding any excess liquid. Do the same thing for the artichoke hearts.
Make Ahead Baked Chicken
This is one of those baked chicken recipes that’s ideal for a hectic weeknight because you can make it ahead of time! To prep it in advance and bake it later, just follow the recipe instructions for assembling the dish and rather than baking right away, cover and refrigerate for up to a day before cooking.
Spinach Artichoke Baked Chicken
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 10 ounce package frozen spinach thawed
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 14.5 ounce can artichoke hearts in water drained
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- Squeeze as much moisture out of the thawed spinach and artichokes as you can. Use a kitchen towel or stack a few paper towels on top of one another, wrap them tightly around the spinach, and wring it out, discarding any excess liquid. Do the same thing for the artichoke hearts. Once drained, roughly chop the artichokes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, mayo, parmesan, garlic powder, and black pepper until combined. Stir in the spinach and artichokes.
- Arrange the cut up chicken breast in the bottom of a baking dish and spread the cream cheese mixture over the chicken.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving over potatoes, rice, or pasta (or cauliflower rice or mashed cauliflower to keep it low carb!).