These whole wheat sour cream pancakes make the perfect morning. These are ones I’d serve to the queen, or better yet, Oprah, were she so obliged to pop in for breakfast. Daniel swears it’s the best pancake recipe he’s ever had. They’re light as a feather, unfailingly tender, and just so shockingly fluffy. Flavor-wise, they’re faintly sweet and slightly nutty from a blend of whole wheat and all-purpose flours. I add a few spoonfuls of sour cream to give them moisture and a silky texture.
I love that they’re not only delicious, but healthy and wholesome enough for a weekday. Essentially, they won’t send you on a trip to the tropic of sugar, but you’ll think you’re eating cake for breakfast. A win by all accounts.
Most recipes call for added oil or melted butter, but you really don’t need any. The sour cream adds a bit of fat and richness, and that’s all that matters taste-wise.
So, today is my 26th birthday, and I feel nothing short of elated. One part overjoyed and one part overwhelmed with gratitude….for giving me the chance to share my life, through food, with you.
I’d like to thank the internet for how far we’ve come. Really. Because blogging, well, it’s felt a whole lot like a home away from home for me. Where else but the world wide web would I be able to step inside, take off my shoes, eat, sleep in a plush pillow-top mattress (what’s the thread count here?!), and make myself at home for a full year without being politely and respectfully asked to leave?
But then I guess the real place I’ve stayed is in the homes of all of you. Cramped inside your desktops and laptops, just practically shouting about this food or that food, this ooey gooey or that crispy crumbly. It’s not always easy, being 5’9” and all. And I imagine it’s not all that easy for you, either. Either I’m trying to feed you up to your eyeballs, I’m writing a dissertation on the melting point of chocolate, or I’m asking you to dig as deep into the very trenches of your soul as I do mine. I want to share food and wisdom and understanding and circumstance. And really, I’d imagine myself to be fresh out of content by now.
Quite honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without you. Without writing and recipes and taking lustful photos of food.
Thanks for staying with me. I’m blowing out my candles and wishing for another year of this feeling.
Whole Wheat Sour Cream Pancakes
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk dairy or nondairy
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the egg into the milk. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Add the sour cream and give the batter one final stir.
- Spoon a quarter cup of batter onto a griddle or skillet set over medium heat that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Flip after 3-4 minutes, just as you notice bubbles forming around the edges of each pancake, and cook 2 minutes more.
- Serve with a pat of butter and pure maple syrup.