Pepperoni meatzza is a pizza recipe with a crust made of ground beef (tastes like a meatball!) and all the toppings you'd find on traditional pizza - tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and slices of pepperoni! For anyone eating low carb, gluten free, or just looking for something different, this meatzza recipe is for you!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef sirloin 90% lean
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs or gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- ½ cup tomato sauce I use plain, canned tomatoes, but you can use your favorite jarred version
- 4 ounces ½ of a large ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 14 or so slices pepperoni I like Applegate Farm brand
- Fresh basil chopped, for serving
Preheat the oven to 400º F.
In a large bowl, use your hands to combine the beef, Parmesan, bread crumbs, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt, and egg. Be careful not to overwork the mixture -- just lightly mix it together, or the meat will become too dense and the end result will be tough.
Add the meat to a large 10- or 12-inch skillet or baking dish, pressing the mixture lightly with your fingers to cover the bottom like a pizza crust.
Spread the tomato sauce evenly over the top of the meat crust, leaving a ½-inch border all around. Arrange the mozzarella slices on top, and then the pepperoni, and bake until the meat is cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes. Drain the grease and drippings, then transfer to a serving plate, top it with fresh basil, and cut into wedges as you would a pizza. Serve hot.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.7g | Protein: 35.4g | Fat: 22.5g | Fiber: 0.8g | Sugar: 2.3g