Pasta e Fagioli
This pasta e fagioli (Italian pasta and bean soup) is a pure and simple blend of ingredients that I always have on hand, and it is stellar!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 28 oz 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (or ground, peeled tomatoes)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 30 oz 15-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup small shaped pasta such as shells ditalini, or elbows
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and cook, stirring frequently, for until just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes, and stir constantly until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, broth, kidney beans, and bay leaves. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
Cook for 20 minutes. Add the pasta in the last 10 minutes of cooking. Add the salt and pepper and stir.
Discard bay leaves, stir in parsley and serve, sprinkling each serving bowl with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 9g | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 13g