Healthy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
This healthy homemade chicken noodle soup includes instructions for roasting a whole chicken and homemade chicken stock!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time3 hrs 15 mins
Total Time3 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 6 Servings
- 1 whole chicken 4-5 lbs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth preferably organic
- 4 large carrots roughly chopped
- 4 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme stems removed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked small shape pasta 1 ½ cups dry
- 2 cups frozen sweet peas thawed
- ½ cup packed fresh parsley chopped
Roast the chicken: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chicken in a roasting pan and rub all over with olive oil. Roast for 1 hour 45 minutes. Let cool enough so that you can handle it, then peel off all the skin, discard it, remove the meat from the bones, and pull or chop the chicken meat into bite-sized pieces. Do not discard the bones or carcass.
In a large stock pot, combine the chicken bones with chicken broth. Bring the pot to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to carefully remove all bones. Discard them.
Add the carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add all of the chicken and simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the cooked pasta, peas, and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve.
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 15g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g