Southwestern Slow Cooker Pulled Chicken
My recipe is sweet, a little tangy, rich with tomatoes, and has a bit of a bit of a kick to it, thanks to one chipotle pepper in adobo. It gets its Southwestern flair from cumin, chili powder, and coriander
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 15- ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce from a can, chopped
Put the chicken in a 6-quart slow cooker. Scatter the onion over the chicken.
In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce, vinegar, liquid smoke, garlic, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, chili powder, and chipotle pepper, and stir well. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
Cook on low until the chicken thighs are pierced easily with a fork, about 8 hours. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 11.7g | Protein: 32.5g | Fat: 5.5g | Sodium: 634mg | Fiber: 1.6g | Sugar: 6.3g