Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
My slow cooker chicken tikka masala has all the big, bold flavor of the traditional dish, but it’s far easier and lighter, too.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 7 mins
Total Time4 hrs 17 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅔ cup half and half
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
In the base of your slow cooker, combine the crushed tomatoes and brown sugar. Stir.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, garam masala, salt, and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. The mixture will be a thick paste.
Transfer the onion and spice mixture to the slow cooker and stir well to combine with the crushed tomatoes. Add the chicken breasts, pushing them down enough to cover them with the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Remove the chicken breasts from the slow cooker and cut into smaller chunks. Stir the half and half into the tomato sauce in the slow cooker. Return the cut-up chicken to the slow cooker and stir. Serve with the chopped fresh cilantro.
Calories: 263kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 297mg | Sugar: 7g