The Best Lighter Chicken Nachos
These lighter chicken nachos might have fewer calories, but they don’t sacrifice an ounce of flavor. They’re piled high with tortilla chips, delicious (and easy!) slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken, seasoned black beans, melted cheddar cheese, and all the fixins—for only 396 calories or 8 WW points!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time4 hrs 20 mins
Total Time4 hrs 35 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 14.5- ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 1.25- ounce packet taco seasoning mix I like [McCormick 30% Less Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 15- ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 large breasts)
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese 4 ounces
- 6 ounces Tostitos Bite Size Tortilla Chips 6 servings or about half of a standard size bag
- Optional toppings: salsa sour cream, avocado, scallions, black olives, pickled jalapeños)
In the base of your slow cooker, combine the diced tomatoes and taco seasoning. Stir in the drained black beans. Nestle the chicken breasts in the tomatoes, spooning some over the top to cover them. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and use a fork to pull the chicken into smaller pieces or shreds. Use a slotted spoon or a fine mesh sieve to remove the beans and some of the diced tomatoes from the slow cooker and place them in a medium bowl. Discard the thinner liquid left behind. (Note: If you aren’t planning to use the meat right away, reserve ½ cup of the liquid to pour over the meat in a storage container to help keep it moist and flavorful in the refrigerator.)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
Spread half of the tortilla chips in a single layer on the baking sheet, then evenly distribute half of the chicken, beans and tomatoes, corn, and cheddar cheese. Repeat the layering with the rest of the chips and toppings and bake until the cheese melts and the ends of the chips turn golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve immediately with whatever toppings you like—salsa or fresh pico de gallo, avocado, chopped cilantro, red onion, pickled jalapeños, sour cream.
1 serving: 8 WW Freestyle Points