Baked Falafel with Lemon Tahini Sauce
Healthy baked falafel drizzled with a fresh tahini sauce all wrapped up in a pita with lettuce, tomato, and feta cheese!
Servings: 2 Servings
Lemon Tahini Sauce
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
- 15 oz can chickpeas drained
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 pita breads 5” diameter
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 pita breads (I like Joseph's Flax Oat Bran, and Whole Wheat Pita
In a small bowl, whisk the tahini, lemon juice, lemon zest, and parsley. If needed, add a tablespoon of room temperature water (or more), to thin the sauce to a pourable consistency. Cover and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor, combine all falafel ingredients and pulse until well blended. Use your hands to form 8 equal patties and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Spray the patties with cooking spray and bake for 16 to 18 minutes.
Lay the pitas on a work surface and top each with the lettuce, tomato, and red onion. Divide the hot falafel among the pitas along with 2 tablespoons of feta and 2 tablespoons of lemon-tahini sauce. Fold up and serve!
Nutrition Information is based on a 60-calorie Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran, Whole Wheat Pita
Nutrition Information (without pita): Calories 471, Fat 16g, Carb 65g, Fiber 13g, Sugars 1g, Protein 20g
Serving: 1g | Calories: 531kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 1g