Panzanella Salad with Chickpeas and Feta
Sweet tomatoes and sourdough bread are the foundation of any panzanella salad recipe (a traditional Tuscan bread salad), and they're all the more delicious with salty feta cheese, spicy arugula, and a refreshing handful of basil and parsley.
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomato about 1 pound
- 1 cup peeled seeded, and chopped cucumber
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 15- ounce can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 4 cups sourdough bread cubes chopped ½-inch thick, toasted
- 1 cup packed arugula or baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
In a large bowl, whisk the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, and chickpeas, and toss to coat. Cover and let marinate at room temperature for at least 20 minutes and up to 2 hours.
Add the bread, arugula, parsley, basil, and feta, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Calories: 288kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g