With Valentine’s Day on the horizon, red velvet cupcakes have been the only things occupying my thoughts.
I just had to have them. And the fiery pop of color was purely a holiday perk.
The feat was to update the classic recipe. The cake itself seemed too tried and true to be tampered with, so I opted to play with the frosting.
Plain cream cheese frosting is one of life’s most luscious sweets. I, for one, would gladly eat it by itself with a spoon. But to make the traditional recipe even richer and give it a twist of flavor, I decided to add a bit of chocolate—and not just any chocolate.
The resulting icing tasted like chocolate cheesecake on top of my cupcake. Silky, ultra smooth and cocoa-infused with just a hint of hazelnut.
If you don’t already have a Valentine, this will win the heart of one for you.
Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup Nutella
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoons milk
- Beat the softened cream cheese and Nutella with an electric mixer on high speed until well blended and completely smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating on medium speed between additions.
- Beat on high until powdered sugar is fully incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add milk, and continue beating until frosting is light and fluffy, about 3 full minutes.