This post is sponsored by Chicken of the Sea.
Salmon is one of my favorite foods and something I find myself craving during pregnancy, but it just isn’t a food I find myself making very often at home. That’s why I love Chicken of the Sea wild-caught pink salmon pouches. They make eating super-nutritious salmon so easy for me and they’re far less expensive than buying wild salmon at the fish market.
Once or twice a week, I make salmon salad for lunch for Daniel and me. This week, I decided to branch out and make a spin on my favorite lemon garlic tuna burgers. In a big bowl I mixed 2 pouches of flaked wild salmon, fresh herbs (parsley and dill), lemon juice, garlic, scallions, Greek yogurt, egg, and panko bread crumbs to make 2-inch patties which I then stuffed into pita pockets with lettuce, tomato, paper-thin slices of cucumber, tangy feta cheese, and a quick homemade yogurt dill sauce. Each bite is bursting with fresh, herby flavor. These little herbed salmon patties taste fabulous tucked into a sandwich but they’d also be great on a big salad, too.
This is the kind of meal you feel good about after eating. The fresh and tasty flavors will be satisfying and the nutrition is undeniable. Even better, every flavor fresh pouch is certified by the Marine Stewardship Council, which is the world’s leading certification standard for sustainable wild-caught seafood. So do something responsible for your health, taste buds, and our oceans, and try these delicious salmon pita pockets!
Herbed Salmon Pita Pockets
Herbed Salmon Patties:
- 2 5- ounce packages Chicken of the Sea Boneless Skinless Pink Salmon
- ⅓ cup plain panko bread crumbs or ¼ cup plain traditional bread crumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 6- inch pita pockets white or whole wheat, cut in half
- 2 cups mixed greens or any lettuce you like
- ½ medium cucumber very thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
Yogurt Dill Sauce:
- ½ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine the salmon, panko bread crumbs, parsley, dill, garlic, lemon juice, Greek yogurt, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Form the mixture into 12 small patties (scoop ¼ cup salmon mixture into your hands, form a ball, and then slightly flatten into a patty shape). Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake until they appear dry on the outside and slightly puffed, 16 to 18 minutes.
- While the salmon patties cook, make the yogurt dill sauce. In a small bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, garlic powder, salt, lemon juice, dill, and parsley.
- Assemble the pita pockets: spread some of the yogurt dill sauce inside each of the 4 pita pocket halves then stuff each half with lettuce, tomato, sliced cucumber, 3 salmon patties, and 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese. Serve!