I’m on a burger bender.
It’s come to the point where I’ve even hauled the grill back outside.
So…winter barbecue, anyone?
These burgers have all of the flavors that I love about Italian chicken Parmesan, with only a fraction of the fat and calories. Lean ground chicken breast is generously seasoned with garlic, basil, oregano, and made bulkier with the addition of sauteed onion and sweet red pepper. Smother it in rich tomato sauce, top it with mozzarella cheese, tuck it between two slices of toasted Italian bread, and serve it alongside your favorite salad for a perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken breast (or ground turkey breast)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil)
- 4 ounces (1 cup shredded) mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- beginning to soften. Add garlic, turn off the heat, and stir for 30 seconds. Remove to a small bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining burger ingredients (do not add the mozzarella cheese or marinara sauce). Add the cooled onion/pepper mixture and use your hands to mix well. Form 4 evenly sized patties.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler. Place the patties on a lightly greased baking pan and broil for 4-5 minutes per side, until the burgers are no longer pink in their centers.
- Remove the patties from the oven and cover each with a thin layer of marinara sauce, reserving the remaining sauce to spread on buns/rolls for serving. Next, divide the mozzarella cheese evenly among the patties. Return the pan under the broiler for about 1 minute—just long enough for the cheese to melt. Serve immediately on your choice of bread or sandwich buns with remaining marinara sauce if desired.
Nutrition Information & Notes:
Nutrition Information for 1 Chicken Patty with Marinara Sauce and Cheese: Calories 322, Fat 18g, Carb 11g, Fiber 3g, Sugars 6g, Protein 31g
Nutrition Information for 1 Chicken Patty, Plain (without marinara sauce or cheese): Calories 182, Fat 9g, Carb 3g, Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g, Protein 22g