I’m on a burger bender. I even hauled the grill back outside. I should never have put it away—winter can’t stop me.
And these burgers have all the flavors I love about chicken Parmesan, with only a fraction of the fat and calories. I season lean ground chicken breast with basil, oregano, and boost the juiciness and size of the patties with the addition of sautéed onion, sweet red pepper, and garlic.
Once grilled, I smother a charred patty in tomato sauce, melt some mozzarella cheese on top, and tuck it between two slices of toasted Italian bread to give it the full effect of chicken Parm. I swear this might be the best way to sneak leaner poultry, like ground turkey or ground chicken, into the diet of picky eaters who only want beef. They won’t miss a single thing and neither will you!
Double the recipe for the chicken patties and freeze half so you can save yourself some prep time later! Even if you choose not to top the patties with marinara and cheese, these are so packed with flavor and moisture that they’ll become a staple no matter what you’re toppings are!
So…winter barbecue, anyone?
Chicken Parmesan Burgers
For the burgers:
- 1 pound 93% lean ground chicken breast or ground turkey breast
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil or 1 ½ teaspoons dried basil
- 4 ounces 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce homemade or store-bought
- Cook the veggies until they begin to soften. Add garlic, turn off the heat, and stir for 30 seconds. Remove to a small bowl and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining burger ingredients (do not add the mozzarella cheese or marinara sauce). Add the cooled onion/pepper mixture and use your hands to mix well. Form 4 evenly sized patties.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler. Place the patties on a lightly greased baking pan and broil for 4-5 minutes per side, until the burgers are no longer pink in their centers.
- Remove the patties from the oven and cover each with a thin layer of marinara sauce, reserving the remaining sauce to spread on buns/rolls for serving. Next, divide the mozzarella cheese evenly among the patties. Return the pan under the broiler for about 1 minute—just long enough for the cheese to melt. Serve immediately on your choice of bread or sandwich buns with remaining marinara sauce if desired.