A good rice bowl recipe should be fast, flavorful, and yet, imprecise enough that you can wing it. You want to be able to add as much or as little of each ingredient as you want depending on the day, the season, and your mood.
This one is just that. It has a burrito bowl feel, with smoky-sweet barbecue salmon and just-a-tad spicy pepper jack, but it also has similarities to chirashi, a Japanese dish meaning “scattered,” that’s served in a big bowl with rice, fish, vegetables, and various other ingredients.
The rice base for my bowl takes a minute to cook because I use Minute® Ready to Serve Whole Grain Brown and Wild Rice cups. If that isn’t music to your ears then you must not have spent millions of minutes over the stovetop cooking (and yes, sometimes burning) brown rice, like I have. These cups are heaven-sent.
And the salmon is just as quick and easy. There’s no cooking necessary for cans and pouches of Chicken of the Sea tuna and salmon, and their Flavored Salmon Pouches are no different. All you have to do with these is tear them open, flake the salmon with a fork, and add it to your dish–couldn’t be easier. I used a Barbecue Flavored Salmon Pouch here, with mild smoky-sweet flavor.
The kale in the rice bowl gets tossed in a simple-to-make orange vinaigrette because I can’t get enough of citrus right now. As with most kale salads, the longer it sits, the better it tastes. Kale’s sturdy leaves will absorb the flavor, and the they’ll soften from the acidity of the vinaigrette. But don’t worry if you don’t have long to let the kale marinate and soften; I find that the hardy texture complements all of the other ingredients so well. Just be sure to chop the leaves finely!
Feel free to make this recipe your own by swapping out the salmon for one of Chicken of the Sea’s other Flavored Salmon Pouch flavors; try one of the other Minute Ready to Serve varieties; toss the kale in a different dressing (use store-bought dressing if you want to save time); substitute another cheese or seasonal fruit! Whatever you do, I hope it’s quick and delicious :)
Brown Rice Bowl with Salmon, Orange and Avocado
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch lacinato kale stemmed and chopped (4 packed cups)
- 3 cups Minute® Brown and Wild Rice
- 3 Chicken of the Sea Barbecue Flavored Salmon Pouches
- 2 oranges cut into segments
- 1 avocado pitted and sliced
- 3 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded (¾ cup)
- In a large bowl, whisk the orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the chopped kale and toss well to coat the leaves in the vinaigrette. Set aside or chill if you’re preparing ahead of time. The longer it sits, the better it tastes.
- Pull or cut the film to remove it from the cups of Minute® Brown and Wild Rice. Microwave on HIGH for 1 ½ minutes. Stir rice and let cool slightly.
- Divide the dressed kale among 4 bowls, followed by the rice. Open the Flavored Salmon Pouches and use a fork to gently flake the salmon. Top each bowl evenly with barbecue salmon, orange segments, sliced avocado, and pepper jack cheese. Serve!