This post is sponsored by Chicken of the Sea and Minute® Rice as part of National Salmon Day
I came around to Greek salad in my teens, when I discovered that the pizza shop in the center of town had a combo deal on pizza and salad.
I didn’t intend to fall in love with the vegetable side of that combo–I’m not insane–but Royal Pizza really had a way with Greek salad. It was crisp, cool, and zesty. Even when I started working at Royal’s rival pizzeria, Casabella, I kept going back for the salad.
Traditional Greek salads are chunky, made of tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, feta cheese, and olives. They’re simply seasoned with salt, oregano, and olive oil. My version of Greek salad is a little more Greek-inspired, with all the staple ingredients, plus the addition of arugula and lemon. The ingredients that really set this salad apart are salmon and brown and wild rice: the protein and whole grains. They’re what give the salad such a satisfying, hearty feel. And surprise! The salmon and brown and wild rice very well may be the easiest parts of the salad.
The salmon flaked into this Greek-inspired salad is wild-caught pink salmon, and it’s as quick as can be, taken straight from a Chicken of the Sea Lemon Pepper Flavored Salmon Pouch. And that nutty, chewy texture is thanks to Minute® Ready to Serve Brown and Wild Rice. True to their name, these portioned cups can be microwaved in one minute.
If you’re like me, you will love the kind of convenience that Chicken of the Sea Flavored Salmon Pouches and Minute Ready to Serve Rice cups offer, especially when it comes to making a wholesome meal with some built-in portion control. If you’re ever in a rush, both make a nice portable meal on-the-go. And they come in a bunch of varieties and flavors, too.
This Greek whole grain salad is convenient, nourishing, and delicious. With veggies, brown rice, salmon, feta, and olive oil, it’s a complete meal with a good balance of protein, fat, and carbs. You can mix it together ahead of time and pack it for lunch or throw it in the fridge for a quick meal whenever you need it.
Take part in the #SalmonLovesRice Sweepstakes. From September 23 to October 8, you can use the hashtag #NationalSalmonDay on social media, and answer salmon trivia questions, for a chance to win a 7-day Alaskan cruise and Chicken of the Sea Flavored Salmon Pouches and Minute® Ready to Serve Rice products.
Greek Whole Grain Salad with Lemon Salmon and Feta
- 1 Juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups Minute Ready to Serve Brown and Wild Rice
- ½ cup black or kalamata olives pitted and chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- ½ medium cucumber chopped
- ¼ medium red onion chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 Chicken of the Sea Lemon Pepper Flavored Salmon Pouches
- 2 ounces feta cheese crumbled (½ cup)
- In a large bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add the rice, olives, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, basil, and mint, and toss to coat in the dressing.
- Add the arugula and salmon and toss to combine.
- Divide the salad among 4 serving plates or bowls and top each with 2 tablespoons of the crumbled feta cheese.