All you need to make the best and easiest veggie sandwich is whole grain bread, hummus, avocado, and any fresh veggies you like. The result is a nutrient-packed, filling, and healthy sandwich that just so happens to be very pretty, too. (387 calories or 8 Weight Watchers Freestyle points)
When I tell you that this is the easiest veggie sandwich, I mean it. It’s so simple that even writing down a recipe for it feels silly. But if nothing else, I’m here to encourage you to make unfussy, healthy, delicious things, so here goes.
Use whatever fresh veggies you enjoy or have on hand, but my favorite mix includes lettuce (I like green leaf or romaine), cucumber, bell pepper (any color), tomato, red onion, carrot, and sprouts. For flavor, I tuck a few dill pickles inside, and for heft and staying power, I slather my bread with hummus and mashed avocado. Feel free to swap out the hummus for cream cheese, add a slice of cheese or two, use store-bought guacamole in place of avocado, and skip the pickles altogether if you can’t stand them.
The veggies are pleasingly crisp and crunchy, with their own unique tart or sweet or even zesty flavors, but it’s the whole grain bread, the hummus, and the rich, creamy avocado that really provide satisfaction. The sandwich just isn’t substantial enough without them, so don’t skimp on these three.
The Easiest Veggie Sandwich
- ½ cucumber
- ½ to mato
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ carrot
- ½ avocado
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- ¼ cup prepared hummus
- 2 leaves romaine or green leaf lettuce
- ¼ cup dill pickle slices
- ½ cup sprouts
- Slice the cucumber and tomato thinly. Slice the bell pepper into thin strips. Using a box grater, grate the carrot.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop the flesh into a bowl and mash with a fork to a chunky texture. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir.
- Toast your bread and spread the mashed avocado on 2 slices. Spread the hummus on the remaining 2 slices (2 tablespoons on each). On the hummus-covered slices, layer with equal amounts of lettuce, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, carrot, pickles, and sprouts. Top with the avocado slices. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve.
387 calories, 53g carbs, 11g fiber, 15g fat, 13g protein, 572mg sodium, 12g sugar