This easy ground turkey stir fry has all the complex, savory-sweet flavor you love in a good Asian stir fry but with minimal effort on your part. The sauce is simple, made with just 5 pantry staples: soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic powder, toasted sesame oil, and cornstarch (optional).
Great flavor aside, the allure of a stir fry recipe is that it comes together quickly. But even the quickest ones require some prep work—chopping veggies, mincing garlic, dicing meat…Not this one. This ground turkey stir fry is as quick as it’s ever gonna get and yet it tastes as good as the best of them. Just pop a pound of ground turkey in a frying pan, cook it through, and stir in a straightforward sauce made with soy sauce, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, garlic powder, and a little cornstarch to aid in thickening.
The two workhorses at creating big flavor with minimal effort on your part are hoisin sauce and toasted sesame oil. If you’re not familiar with hoisin, it’s a thick, salty-sweet sauce that’s commonly used in Chinese cuisine. The great thing about it is that a little goes a long way to provide complex savory flavor without a ton of other ingredients. The toasted sesame oil is just as powerful, infusing the sauce with warm, nutty sesame flavor. Don’t skip it!
Serve this turkey stir fry over rice (cauliflower rice is great, too!) with any veggies you like.
Ground Turkey Stir Fry
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch (optional, but it helps to thicken the sauce)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water, sesame oil, and garlic powder. In a separate small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 2 teaspoons of water until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok, brown the ground turkey over medium-high heat, crumbling it with a spatula as it cooks. Once browned and cooked through, stir in the soy sauce mixture. Bring to a simmer and let the mixture cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the cornstarch and water mixture and continue stirring until the sauce has thickened. Remove the pan from heat.
- Serve over rice or cauliflower rice with any veggies you like.